Performance, carcass and digesta characteristics of broilers fed broiler finisher diet supplemented with different levels of Moringa oleifera leaf meal, acorn meal and crushed maize

Authors

  • Bethwell Moyo Fort Cox College of Agriculture and Forestry
  • Papadi Nakalebe Fort Cox College of Agriculture and Forestry
  • Khuliso Emmanuel Ravhuhali North West University http://orcid.org/0000-0002-5303-7320

Keywords:

Acorn, broiler performance, carcass, colour, Moringa oleifera

Abstract

A possible cost-effective way of meeting the demand of poultry products is through reduction of cost of production by introducing affordable unconventional sources of protein, particularly from plant products such as seeds and leaves. The objective of this study was to determine the feed intake, performance, carcass and digesta characteristics of broilers fed broiler finisher diet supplemented with Moringa oleifera leaf meal (MOLM), oak nuts (acorn meal) and crushed maize. The best growth performance, feed intake and tenderer and yellower meat were observed in birds fed 20% inclusion of crushed maize. Various inclusion levels of acorn, MOLM and crushed maize had no significant (P > 0.05) influence on feed conversion ratio. Feed intake was reduced by 20% inclusion of acorn meal. Dressing percentage, liver weight and abdominal fat were not significantly (P > 0.05) affected by dietary treatment. However, there was a significant (P ≤ 0.05) increase in gizzard weight with 20% inclusion of crushed maize. The breast muscle from birds fed 20% acorn had lowest ultimate pH and were less yellow. Low dry matter of digesta in the small intestine and caeca were observed with 20% inclusion of crushed maize and 20% inclusion of acorn, while 15% inclusion of crushed maize, together with 5% MOLM increased the dry matter of digesta and lowered pH in the caeca. It was concluded that 20% of crushed maize can be included in the first and the last finisher phases without negatively influencing performance. Furthermore, the significant positive synergistic effect of 15% acorn and MOLM on performance was prominent at the post-finisher phase (day 45 – 56), suggesting that the birds had adapted to the diet.

Downloads

Published

2022-08-12

Issue

Section

Research Papers